Partner Visa

Under Australian migration law, Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens are able to sponsor their partner (spouse, fiancé, defacto or interdependent partner) to migrate to Australia on a Partner Visa. There are two types of Partner Visas – a Spouse Visa or a Fiancé Visa.

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) allows you to live in Australia if you are the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. In some circumstances the visa can be granted where your partner relationship has ended. The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801). You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided. You lodge one application form for your temporary and permanent visas and pay one application charge. Your application is processed in two stages, about two years apart. Interviews are sometimes requested by Immigration for both the applicant and sponsor.

The Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) is for people who want to come to Australia to marry their prospective spouse. It is a temporary visa for nine months. You must be outside Australia when you lodge your application and when the visa is granted. You can have the wedding in any country: the wedding does not need to be in Australia.